A large number of people suffer from scalp conditions; either it is too dry or too oily. However, a majority of people suffer from the problems caused by dry scalp. People often use the terms ‘dry scalp’ and ‘dandruff’ interchangeably; these conditions are related but are different from each other.
Usually, dry scalp occurs due to dehydration or when the scalp doesn’t have enough oil to keep it lubricated. This can cause irritation, flaking, and give rise to an itching sensation. Dandruff, on the other hand, is caused due to the dry scalp; when the dry scalp is neglected for a long time, it starts shedding dead skin cells. The increase in the shedding of dead skin cells worsens the condition further, and immediate measures to control it has to be undertaken.
In case you have developed an itchy scalp recently, there are high chances that it can escalate easily to a severe dandruff problem. In such cases, it is essential that you acquaint yourself with the symptoms of dry scalp and dandruff.
Symptoms of dry scalp and dandruff
As mentioned earlier, dry scalp is the source of dandruff; what begins as dry scalp issues can pretty soon turn into a full-fledged dandruff issue. The symptoms of dry scalp and dandruff are as follows-
- One of the prominent symptoms of dry scalp is the appearance of small, dry flakes. These dry flakes are dead skin cells and are caused chiefly due to dehydration or less moisture in the scalp.
- If you observe that the skin flakes are large, oily, and yellow or white in color, it is more than dry scalp; it is dandruff.
- Another obvious symptom of dry scalp and dandruff is an itchy scalp. The dryness of the scalp might make it more vulnerable to irritation.
- In addition to an itchy scalp, dandruff also makes the scalp oily and red, and ultimately leads to hair fall.
- Moreover, another symptom that indicates that you have dry scalp is that the skin on the other parts of the body is as dry as the scalp.
Identifying these symptoms would allow you to seek appropriate treatment since these conditions differ, and you will need different treatment methods.
Effective measures to prevent dry scalp and dandruff
We all are familiar with the adage that ‘prevention is better than cure’, and this is applicable to almost every health issue that can be avoided if we take certain measures to prevent it. So, here are some effective tips to prevent the occurrence of dry scalp and dandruff.
- In order to prevent dry scalp, it is advisable to switch to a mild shampoo that doesn’t irritate or dry your scalp.
- Also, since dry scalp and dandruff occur due to lack of moisture, you can switch to a moisturizing shampoo to prevent dry scalp and dandruff.
- We often overlook the importance of oiling our hair. Coconut oil has amazing benefits for the hair; not only does it make the hair thicker and lustrous, it also keeps the scalp moisturized. So, to avoid dry scalp and dandruff, oil your hair at least thrice a week.
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the most potent home remedies and can keep a lot of health issues at bay. So, rinse your hair and scalp with apple cider vinegar since it is a natural astringent and prevents the skin from flaking.